Sunday, August 23, 2009

First Day of School

School started a couple of weeks ago. I took half the day off so I could see the girls off. Afterward, Jeremy and I wanted to do something fun since I had the rest of the day off. That's one of the few advantages of working at 4:00 a.m. So, we decided to take JD to the railroad museum. I thought he'd be really excited and running all over and looking at everything. Instead he sped through, barely taking a minute to pause and look at the different trains they had set up. The reason? He really needed to go to the bathroom. He's kind of finicky and doesn't like public restrooms because they tend to be dirty. He finally gave in and used the restroom there. After that, he had a lot of fun.


With most of the displays you can only look in the windows, but there are a couple that you can actually go in and touch.
Upstairs there are model toy trains from over the years, including a huge setup of four different sets of tracks and trains that you can watch and control. One of the volunteers at the museum thought JD was cute and tried to play with him but he's been kind of shy lately and wasn't having any of it. They also had a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine tracks and toys set up for kids to play with he probably spent like 20 minutes playing with them and we finally had to pick him up and carry him out. The video is taken with the Canon Powershot and not the video camera so it's kind of grainy but still cute.
Posted by Picasa



This is Becca on the first day of school. She was having a hard time with the sun in her eyes; so Jeremy let her wear his sunglasses for one of the pictures I took. It turned out cute. She has two teachers this year that split the time between the two of them. She hasn't been in any trouble so far and her teacher even called to say what a good reader she is. It's so nice to hear something positive about her.
Here is Sariah. She immediately went to a couple of friends that she made last year and hung out with them. Those friends aren't in her class but she says she likes her class and she likes her teacher. It's hard to believe she's in third grade. I remember being in third grade. She is learning cursive now, and finds it frustrating. Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer her in the way of help. I need some third grade book recommendations though. For some reason she doesn't like reading any of my Beverly Cleary books. Becca has picked up The Mouse and the Motorcycle though and says she's reading it and likes it.

3 comments:

the evans four (at least for now) said...

Looks like Jeremy was having fun with the toy trains too!

gma said...

ditto that comment

jmuss said...

What's wrong with that? Playing is always fun :)